Lovely Caitlin at her bridal shower

Lovely Caitlin at her bridal shower

Dorri's beautiful arrangment

Dorri's beautiful arrangment

Maid of Honor Jenny

Maid of Honor Jenny

Caitlin

Caitlin

Susan Barnhurst

Susan Barnhurst

Caitlin's Bridal Shower

Caitlin's Bridal Shower

Kathy Castracane

Kathy Castracane

Anna

Anna

Caitlin opening her gift

Caitlin opening her gift

Susan, Michelle and Mollie

Susan, Michelle and Mollie

Margie Harris

Margie Harris

The happy couple

The happy couple

Kevin

Kevin

Friday, October 2, 2009

I Love You a Bushel and a Peck and a Hug Around Your Neck


Today Elisabeth turns twenty. It’s hard to believe that so many years have gone by and now she is all grown up. She is a really incredible person. She makes friends easily and has always been a people-person. To celebrate her birthday I’ll share some entries straight out of her baby book.
By the age of three Elisabeth is already donning her signature long blonde hair. That is until one day.....

Elisabeth discovered scissors. Kevin, Peter, and I were sitting on the couch and in dances Elisabeth with her bangs chopped off (a 2x2 inch square in the front, with only ½ inch remaining) I take one look and go into heart failure. I then dared a second look and burst into uncontrollable laughter, trying my best to cover it. Then Anna, Peter and Kevin try to cover their laughter, while poor Elisabeth is standing there crying her head off. She was so proud of her haircut. Then Peter says, “Elisabeth, you gave yourself a buzz" and she begins crying even harder, stating that she doesn’t have “bugs” in her hair. We bring the mirror out and still crying she tells us, “Take the mirror away and don’t say any more words!!” Sad but true, she looks like a boy with a mullet gone bad. One positive thing though is that you can see her face better. Her beautiful little ladybug face. I love it. Hopefully she won’t be too scarred for life because her brother relentlessly called her “army man” and “military man.” Just another day in the life of this crazy family. 23 January 1992.

Another entry reads as follows:

Age 5 Elisabeth made up a poem and I quickly wrote it down so I wouldn’t forget it. I was putting her to bed tonight and she said, “ I want to tell you a poem.” I listened and was amazed at how peaceful and thoughtful it was for someone so young.

When I went to sleep tonight
I heard something.
A tree,
the wind
was blowing
round.
Then I heard
a whisper.
It was
Jesus,
the born baby,
my brother.

Another entry is from when she is 8 years old:

Kevin was was down in the basement setting up some mouse traps when he sees Elisabeth throwing pieces of bread on the floor. Kevin says, “Elisabeth , what are you doing?” and Elisabeth replies, “I want to give them (mice) some 'free' food.”

Elisabeth,
A hug and kiss are reaching across the miles to wish the prettiest ladybug ever a very Happy Birthday. We are so proud of you and hope you have a special day.
Love, Mom and Papa
P.S. These songs in my playlist are for you-- Ladybug Picnic, In My Daughter's Eyes, MMM Bop and Shuffle Your Feet.

3 comments:

  1. I love your special Birthday Blog for Elizabeth, great memories.. and the music would fit, as a child grows to become a beautiful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, special girl. I like the hair cut story. We had a similar issue with Sean's sister and I kept telling his mom it's normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet. I am an avid journal keep for my kids and it is painful to know that someday these times with them will be so far away and they will be adults. I think kids growing older is my own personal tragedy. What a lucky Mama and lucky daughter. Happy Birthday Elisabeth. :)

    ReplyDelete