Lovely Caitlin at her bridal shower

Lovely Caitlin at her bridal shower

Dorri's beautiful arrangment

Dorri's beautiful arrangment

Maid of Honor Jenny

Maid of Honor Jenny

Caitlin

Caitlin

Susan Barnhurst

Susan Barnhurst

Caitlin's Bridal Shower

Caitlin's Bridal Shower

Kathy Castracane

Kathy Castracane

Anna

Anna

Caitlin opening her gift

Caitlin opening her gift

Susan, Michelle and Mollie

Susan, Michelle and Mollie

Margie Harris

Margie Harris

The happy couple

The happy couple

Kevin

Kevin

Monday, November 23, 2009

Here I Raise Mine Ebenezer

Last week at a Stake Relief Society Leadership meeting the special musical number was Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing by Robert Robinson, which is one of my favorite songs. Here are the words:

Come, thou Fount of every blessing,
tune my heart to sing thy grace;
streams of mercy, never ceasing,
call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
mount of thy redeeming love.

Here I raise mine Ebenezer;
hither by thy help I'm come;
and I hope, by thy good pleasure,
safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
wandering from the fold of God;
he, to rescue me from danger,
interposed his precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor
daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness, like a fetter,
bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, O take and seal it,
seal it for thy courts above.

When you first hear the words in the second verse, Ebenezer Scrooge might be the first thing that pops in your head, but I thought of Henry Ebenezer Bowring, one of my husband’s distant grandfathers, who was the first to join the church in the little town of Dorset , England in the mid 1800’s. Ebenezer being a family name I was naturally curious to find out what exactly raising an Ebenezer meant. So I did a little research.

In Samuel 7:12 it says:
Then Samuel took a stone and set it between Mizpeh and Shen, and called the name of it Ebenezer, saying , Hitherto hath the Lord helped us.

The word Ebenezer comes from two Hebrew words meaning “ help” and “rock”. Samuel raised this rock or monument to remind the people of God’s help in the great victory of restoring territory from the power of the Philistines and reclaiming the Ark of the Covenant.

I love the visual picture of raising something to the Lord. Recently, I’ve been taking time to reflect on how God has been faithful to me, knowing that He has helped me thus far. I can look back on my life and see that He has rescued me in so many situations.

So I raise my Ebenezer and give thanks. And as I’m trying to be ever faithful...I say, “here’s my heart, O take and seal it, seal it for thy courts above”.

What Ebenezer would you raise in remembrance of God’s love for you?

3 comments:

  1. wonderful post, though I can't get my comments to go thru.... The MTChoir sang this beautiful hymn this past Sunday on their early morning program from the Conference Center.. I turned it way up loud and loved every bit of it... thanks for reminding me and sharing this rendition.. and your family story about Ebenezer

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting! More very distant American relatives! I just found this post after entering Henry Ebenezer's name in Google. I've just found his obit in the Salt Lake Herald in 1906. Henry is my third great Uncle. I'm descended from his brother, Thomas William Bowring, who was transported to Van Dieman's Land (now Tasmania, Australia) in 1844 for stealing money from a gentleman -- two brotherly extremes I feel.

    Margaret Bell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello distant cousin. My blog has been inactive for several years now so I haven't been on it until today. I noticed your comment. I've always wanted to be in contact with an Australian Bowring. I hope this email still works for you. You can reach me at molliebowring@gmail.com. Can't wait to hear from you. Mollie Bowring

      Delete