Lovely Caitlin at her bridal shower

Lovely Caitlin at her bridal shower

Dorri's beautiful arrangment

Dorri's beautiful arrangment

Maid of Honor Jenny

Maid of Honor Jenny

Caitlin

Caitlin

Susan Barnhurst

Susan Barnhurst

Caitlin's Bridal Shower

Caitlin's Bridal Shower

Kathy Castracane

Kathy Castracane

Anna

Anna

Caitlin opening her gift

Caitlin opening her gift

Susan, Michelle and Mollie

Susan, Michelle and Mollie

Margie Harris

Margie Harris

The happy couple

The happy couple

Kevin

Kevin

Friday, June 25, 2010

Let Me Introduce You To My New Favorite Band~~THE BLUE NILE


My friend Peter W. said, "They’re the best band that nobody’s heard of." The trio is from Scotland and has only produced 4 albums in 30 years. After reading about them I’ve come to realize they aren’t like most bands. They care more about quality than quantity and their music speaks volumes to that philosophy. Singer/songwriter Paul Buchanan, has been referred to as a “crooner” like Sinatra or Torme, but he refers to his voice more as “advanced speaking."





I just happened to discover the group when I listened to a song played by violinist Lucia Macarelli called "Because of Toledo." I loved it the moment I heard it. After I discovered that it was a Blue Nile song, I heard Paul Buchanan sing it for the first time and that started this whole amazing journey. I know that music is very personal. What touches me might not touch you and vice versa, but The Blue Nile really tries to hit a chord in their listeners.

Paul Buchanan said in an interview with James McGalliard in 2007:

"You know, I think that’s part of our job really – to express what’s going on in that little gap in between what people dream and what they get. To find good ways of looking at that and to find what is positive about it and to make unimpeachable records as far as possible on behalf of the stupid and the crazy or on behalf of the part of us that is dispossessed by a non-spiritual retail-orientated society".

I guess I’m one of the "dispossessed by a non-spiritual retail-orientated society." These songs deliver on so many levels, and I’m patiently waiting in line for their next album to arrive.

1 comment: